Recent Posts

Sunday, September 6, 2009

P is for Paxton

Paxton Clark was born on August 26, 2009. 7lbs. 4 oz. 19.5 inches long. We learned about him last Saturday. At that point, he wasn't yet Paxton. The details of this baby boy seemed so similar to Holden that our hearts were immediately drawn to him. We had no face to picture in our minds but emotionally we were already becoming quite attached to the idea of adding this little guy to our family. Originally, I had planned to space my kids out 2-3 years in age. Obviously, I am not a quick learner. I should understand by now that God makes the plans, not I. So we are going to have 2 little boys almost 16 months apart! And we could not be more excited. We were able to share with friends at church today and I couldn't wipe the huge grin from my face. We love adoption and how it changes our view. It has recharged us, refocused us already and he is not yet even in our arms. Above is a scanned photo that his birth mother provided to us. We have yet to meet him face to face, so daily we just stare at this sweet photo. We will meet and bring home baby Paxton next Monday.

I love that it's another boy. With the boys being so close in age, I am very hopeful that eventually they will be the best of friends. We were able to meet Paxton's sweet birth mother on Friday night. I will refer to her as M. This meeting was something that we had never experienced before as Holden's adoption is closed. How do you ever prepare for that moment? Meeting the woman that is going to hand over her son for you to love and raise. She must experience loss and grief as our lives are doubled over with joy. In many ways, it doesn't even seem fair. I know that next Monday will be bittersweet for Jeremy and I as we head home with Paxton. But Friday night our visit was great. This sweet girl even sent us home with some cute baby clothes and a little elephant that she had purchased for Paxton! M is truly beyond words. We count it a blessing for us and for Paxton to have the opportunity to continue a relationship with her. And I do love that she will soon have our blog address to see all the new developments going on in our family. That was one of my purposes in creating this blog - to share our everyday events with my children's birth mothers.

What's in a name? Jeremy is extremely picky when it comes to names. He can tell me "no" to a name as it's coming off my tongue. I barely get it out of my mouth as he shoots it down. After 20+ name suggestions from yours truly, we both decided that we loved the name Paxton. Since Holden has a family name, Wayne, we decided to do the same for Paxton. Clark is my meme's (my dad's mom) maiden name. And I have always liked the name Clark. He may also have a second middle name from M, just as Holden does from his birth mother. We are leaving that decision up to her. And so these are the details that we are sharing about our adoption. We are beyond thrilled to meet our son next Monday. For this week, we plan to enjoy our time with Holden and spend some time preparing for Paxton to join us.

This past week I have been thinking of the days when I was so anxious to start a family and it just wasn't happening. I will never forget the pain and loss I experienced in that time of waiting. And now it feels as if God is surely pouring out blessings over us. He is filling our home with children!
He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children. Praise the LORD! Psalm 113:9

Just curious . . . is this the news you were expecting?

20 comments:

The Skains Family said...

I love little Paxton's sweet face. What a cutie. I am so anxious to hear the stories as your family grows to four. Only God could have allowed this to happen to your family and praise be to Him for the blessings he pours out. Your end sentence and verse made me all teary eyed. I can't even tell you how thrilled I am for you. I am praying for you all and for M as she deals with a loss. Congrats Melodie and Jeremy. We love you guys!

Sew said...

At first I wasn't expecting it. I know I must be dense! Then the hints started coming and I couldnt' contain myself! ;) xxoo!!

I'm so excited for you! I will keep the birth mom in my prayers. She choose life for her baby! God bless her...

Brett and Erin said...

That is so wonderful! Congrats to you all- we'll be praying for you as you make this adjustment-- life with 2 is definitely different, but even better =)

everyday graces said...

Well I missed all your hinted posts but I'm so glad I found out at church!!!! I'm so excited for you guys and as I read this I have tears of Joy!

Bonky's Mom said...

What a wonderful blessing!!!

Kelly said...

YAY! How exciting and precious are God's plans for us! My first two are 16 months apart and what a joy it is to see the best friends they have become...even now as I write this they are playing 'prince' and 'princess' going on some grand adventure :) I will be praying for your family as you welcome your new blessing from God!

Life In Mazes said...

YAH!!!
To be honest, I wasn't sure if yall were adopting another baby boy or pregnant. When I saw your previous post about seeing your doctor, I just did not know how that baby was coming to your family, I just knew that there was a baby on the way!!!
Congrats! This is such an exciting time for your family! Holden is going to be a great big brother!

The Myers said...

Yea for Paxton and Yea for God's blessings! We are so excited for y'all and can't wait to that sweet baby. Have fun with Holden this week. Love y'all.

bsjones7 said...

That is SO exciting! What an awesome experience to have an open adoption or just adoption in general!! Now I am really getting baby fever! Enjoy, you guys are so blessed!!

April said...

Paxton is so handsome, just like his big brother. I am overwhelmed with joy for you guys and for little Holden. He will have so much fun being a big brother!

Alida Smith Barnes said...

How blessedly exciting!!! I love that you have this precious addition to your family. Yea God!

HaleyP said...

I am so excited!! What a precious blessing!! Your two boys will love having each other. Our boys are a little over 2 1/2 years apart and they love each other dearly! Wow...God is so awesome!!

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

So excited for you! It has been so fun for us to see our Maddux grow as a big brother. Cherish these last days with only one child and look forward to all of the fun you'll have with two adorable little boys. Praying for you and Paxton's sweet birth mother. Congratulations!

Molly said...

How funny that my MIL told me tonight at dinner that you had posted this. I thought I was going to spill the beans to her about Holden's new blessing!

The Shockley family is SO freaking excited for you. I still remember our talks about when you were going to start the process again only months ago. I remember that the day we found out about Sadie was the exact same day you found out you'd been chosen for Paxton. Yep, I will never forget Sept 4th!

I wish I could hug you so bad. So just imagine me doing just that! Thank you for opening your hearts to this before you thought you were ready. Thank you for seeking God in something that didn't seem to make sense initially. Thank you for just walking forward and letting God work out all of the details.

Adoption ROCKS....and so does Paxton!

DeBrady said...

I am SO happy for you!! He looks so precious and I know you are anxious to meet your son! Congratulations! Can not wait to hear updates. :)

The McFarland Family said...

Congratulations, Melodie, Jeremy and Holden! Paxton is adorable, and I can't wait to see many, many more pictures in the future. I'm SO happy for ya'll!

kh123 said...

So excited for you all. We will be praying for God's grace and wisdom over each of you during this transition. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that we have 2 boys close in age and they really are great friends- praying that for Holden and Paxton!

Jonna Wilson said...

Congratulations Melodie & Family!!!!

Laura said...

Jeremy and Melodie, with tears in my eyes, I am overjoyed for you! I can't wait to read all about Paxton as he is welcomed into your family and starts growing as fast as Holden is! They will be best buddies! God bless you, Paxton, Holden, and Paxton's birth mother. I think it is WONDERFUL that you can have a relationship with her. I will keep you all in my prayers!