Recent Posts

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Thoughts on Christmas

This season has been such a meaningful one this year in my own heart. And I can't even pinpoint why this year has felt so differently. But it has. I'm wondering if this stirring has come from the many recent conversations I've had with Holden about baby Jesus. And even though we've been having many of these talks, I know he doesn't understand. There is this eagerness inside me this year. An eagerness for my children to understand the depth of why Jesus came. And why when we look at our nativity, we see him in a manger, rather than a palace. And how baby Jesus isn't just another baby. I want them to understand NOW. And they are 2 1/2 and 16 months. So they just don't . . . yet. So I will eagerly await the day they can start to grasp it. This season I'm loving the Christmas carols (which I normally DON'T). I'm listening to the words and really pondering the meaning of those old songs, that in past have just been rhythm, rhyme and tradition. I'm reading the Christmas story often to the boys. And I catch myself getting so caught up in this story that is full of miracles. And in my head it was always so simple. Maybe because I basically had it memorized. But I'm seeing this year how far from simple it really is. And I'm thinking alot about Mary and Joseph, who were parents like us, but to the Savior of the world. And I really can't even imagine what that life was like. Because lately, I've tried to imagine it. And what did it feel like to be chosen by God to be His mother? Honestly, with all my thoughts lately, I've been overwhelmed. Completely overwhelmed, but in such a good way. This story that I've heard my entire life is beginning to mean more to me. I'm realizing the humility in Christ coming to earth in the way that He did. And instead of sitting back and questioning why God chose this story for our Savior, I'm feeling grateful for this master plan of His. Why do I feel like I'm just now starting to get it so many years after my own journey with Christ began? I have no idea. But my heart is so full for Him this Christmas. And it's been a joyful time to celebrate His birth.

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Luke 2:10-12

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

So contemplative and beautiful, Melodie. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! It really is a stunning miracle to ponder.