Recent Posts

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

my dad.

Life without a daddy is fortunately, a life I've never known. He's always been a fixture in my life. Firm. Strong. Wise. Funny. Counselor. Consistent in character. Compassionate. I remember him crying with me the first time I didn't make cheerleader. I was 15. I remember it vividly. Sitting on the bed beside my bedroom window, bawling. Because at 15, this was my passion. And for whatever reason, it was oh-so-important to me. And for whatever reason, he understood that and sympathized with my hurt. So as I sat on the bed in sadness. He was on his knees in front of me. Not sharing his wisdom. But just crying with me. This same father had been at each football game to watch me cheer since the 3rd grade. Football season is cold and lengthy travels were often involved. But he drove my family and they all sat together on those cold, steel bleachers each Saturday afternoon or Thursday/Friday night and watched me do my thing. I would bet, that over the years, he watched a billion pretend tryouts from his recliner as mom critiqued my form. I never remember a roll of the eye or an annoyance that I was blocking the TV. In fact, he probably turned it off in those moments. He also coached my little league basketball team. We stunk. But I loved my coach! Every track meet, volleyball game, choir concert - I never had to wonder if my dad would show. With all of my extra-curricular activities, he just never missed one. (And for the record, neither did my mom, but this is all about FATHER'S DAY!) I'm learning more and more that what I had growing up is not all that common.
He's also still the man I go to when I need an unbiased, level-headed opinion or some wise, biblical counsel. He has become one that Jeremy's goes to as well. That has warmed my heart to see my favorite men connect in this way. And he is definitely the man that Holden runs toward full speed when Papa J walks into the room. So as Father's Day approaches, I can't help but think of my sweet dad. The protective and gentle father of 3 girls. Dad, I'm thinking of you this week and celebrating who you are to me. So grateful! So grateful! So grateful - that God made you mine. And now ours. You are a blessing to me and my family! I love you! And HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! (a wee bit early.)

5 comments:

Tara said...

I loved reading this! What a great way to celebrate your father. Very sweet :)

Bonky's Mom said...

I love this...and think you should print it out on nice paper and frame it for him!

Amanda said...

Oh man...I think you stole this from me somehow. How do you have access to my computer? ;)

Love it. And, so true. I think being a father of girls brings special challenges because a father has to think outside of his natural inclinations to find ways to relate. Obviously, our dad was up to the challenge! I love him so much...and i love you!

The Skains Family said...

Aww, that is priceless Melodie. It made me a bit teary! You are blessed and so is your dad!

A and Z said...

So sweet....