Recent Posts

Saturday, August 31, 2013

4 year old Pax

I'm going to try and sum up my sweet 4 year old at this stage in life. I've said it before but he's just sweet. He's considerate of others. He is normally a peacemaker. He is affectionate. He is sensitive and tenderhearted. He speaks his feelings for others easily. Earlier in the summer while the two of us quietly floated on a raft in a backyard swimming pool, he suddenly spoke out of silence and said, "mommy, I'm so glad that you're my mommy." Just last week he came up with, "I would be so sad if I didn't have y'all." That one nearly made me burst with emotion. He's a thinker and he'll often tell his family, those that are closest to him, all about those thoughts floating around in his head. I am the same exact way with easily sharing my heart with those closest to me. Our personalities are very similar and it makes for a very special relationship.
Pax loves all things super hero, sports and books. He is constantly wanting me to read him book after book after book. If I ever repsond with "no, not right now", he can sometimes get a little dramatic and in a whiney voice say, "but you NEVER read me any books!" Which is a bold face lie. :) He currently has an interest in Ninja Turtles also. It's the newest obsession at our house by the big boys. He has been begging to play baseball for over a year. So he is finally enrolled to play t-ball this fall. I already know he will love the experience of playing a sport. There is no doubt in my mind on that one. He consistently puts great effort into whatever he is doing. So far, as a brand new 4 year old, he is participating in our Kindergarten curriculum with no problems at all. He loves to be involved with our school and so far he is eager to learn.
Pax loves to play games. He received two new games for his birthday. Pop the Pig and I Can Do That - a fun little Dr. Suess game. He loves to sit and play games as a family. Some other favorites are Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land and Hi Ho Cherry-O.
This boy normally moves at the pace of a turtle. He is rarely in a hurry for anything. It's one of the pieces of his personality that can drive Jeremy and I crazy. He is just a slow moving fella and not much of anything is going to pick up his pace.
He could easily ride his bike without training wheels if he had the confidence in his ability. I watched his very first attempt at it and he was doing amazing until he realized no one was holding up the bike. At that point he slowly put on the brakes and decided that he wanted his training wheels back on. So he's a little timid. Physically he's ready for it. But mentally he's not. So we will give him some time until he's ready to give it a second shot.
I would say one of Pax's biggest accomplishments this past year was earning the title "big brother". And he immediately looked like he was born for the job. I was so concerned about his adjustment to a new baby in the house after he had held that title for almost a full 4 years. But then Abe came to our family, Pax fell in love with him just like the rest of us. And there's never been a moment of concern. He was ready to be a big brother and he has been an amazing one.
Pax is great eater. He will eat just about anything you put in front of him. Some of his favorites are: cheeseburgers, pizza, pear, kiwi, oranges, pepperoni slices with crackers, green peas, carrots, bell peppers, yogurt, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, bananas, waffles and pancakes. He is a dream eater. Never any bribery. Never any arguments. I always set down a reasonable amount of food in front of him, he eats it all and sometimes asks for more of something. For this boy, meals are never a battle and for that I am so thankful.
Pax is a very sweet and special part of our family. He is a fun and fair brother to both Holden and Abe. And a true gift of a son to Jeremy and I. We love him dearly! We look forward to year number four with this incredible little boy.

1 comment:

~The Neaves Nest~ said...

Sweet little heart he has! Happy #4!!