Recent Posts

Friday, December 6, 2013

the celebration(s)!!

We had two small celebrations for Abe's 1st birthday. After 9 somewhat large (for my introverted self) birthday parties, I'm feeling done with them. I know that I can't really be done with them and Abe will get the same pizzazz as the other two for the next few years. But for his first I decided to keep it very low key and just family. Since we were with my family on Thanksgiving, and it was only a few days before his birthday, I decided to have his party on Friday at my meme's house. I baked cupcakes on Wednesday before traveling Thursday. Then on Friday, I whipped up some homemade buttercream and sloppily spread it onto the cupcakes. Sorry, Abe. They did look sloppy. But no one cared what they looked like. In fact Abe would hardly even touch his cupcake. So we had a little celebration with cake, a candle, singing and a few presents. It was just what I had imagined. My dad took some pictures for us. Thanks dad!
 
 
 
Some cousins sporting their 'staches.
 
 
 
Then on his actual birthday, December 2, we had another little celebration at home. This time it was just the 5 of us. The morning of his birthday, he woke at 5:15am crying. This is very unusual for him. He really has become a great sleeper. So I took the opportunity to snuggle him in our bed. He quickly went back to sleep on my chest. :) I love that he occasionally will still sleep on me. It's rare, but it also happened at Thanksgiving because he was desperate for a nap. When he woke for real, at around 7:00am, Jeremy and I sang Happy Birthday to our sweet boy. Jeremy went on to work that morning and met up with us for a Chick-Fil-A lunch. After work, Jeremy returned home with Abe's cookie cake. We had black bean rice bowls for dinner, because this little boy could eat his weight in beans and rice. Next he opened his presents from us. I had no idea I was buying a baby toy that my 4 and 5 year old were also going to love. They have played with this thing every day. We also got him the cute little grey elephant chair to go in his nursery. It's a perfect fit. We got him a toy remote control because he can't keep his hands off of our real ones. And we gave him a few new books, because we are determined to turn him into another bookworm. After the present opening, we sang to him again and shared some cookie cake. He confirmed what we thought just days before ~ the boy is not yet crazy for sugary sweets. I'm sure it will come in time, but for now I am perfectly fine with that. It was another wonderful day of celebrating our sweet baby boy!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: