Recent Posts

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

hot, but happy.

Hot. Man, the Texas summer heat is just that. HOT! I'm not really sure if it gets hotter every summer (global warming, maybe?) ;) or if it's me getting to be an old woman that can't take the heat. Luckily most of our outdoor days are spent in the cool water and during those times I barely notice the heat. So that's my little tidbit on the hot.

Happy. We are in this great stage as a family. I think I talked about this not too long ago. Oh yes, I briefly mentioned it here. Soon after that post, Holden frightened me by reminding me that he was almost 3 and ready to kick it up a notch. :) Just when I think I have it all figured out and I can do this parenting thing on my own, God quickly reminds me of my need for Him. It usually ends up with me on my knees in tears confessing that I can't do it by myself. That's where my heart was here. I'm never making that mistake again: believing that we finally have this parenting gig figured out and in the bag. Ha. I don't think I ever verbalized that or even necessarily thought about it on those terms. I just wasn't relying on God like I should. My actions in parenting weren't being directed by Him. And eventually it all blew up in my face. I feel like that's the pattern of my life. When things are good, I forget my need for Him. Unfortunately, it often takes trials for me to return to brokeness and humility. . . where my heart should always remain. Why am I just now realizing this? I have no idea. So things are good now with our new 3 year old and almost 2 year old. Not because of our parenting skills. I'm not dumb enough to believe that ever again. But because of the grace of God. His help. His guidance. His work through us.

Now onto what has made me so happy! My little family. Holden and Pax can fight, boss and tattle like brothers. But the other part of the time they are playing so well together and act like best friends. They laugh at each other from across the dinner table. They tickle. They wrestle. They chase. They have dance parties. Pax loves to ride on our backs, play airplane, dance to music and do somersaults across the floor. He talks alot and says many words, but Jeremy, Holden and I are the only ones that can understand what he says. He has a language all his own and it doesn't include many consonants. I love that when Pax asks for milk by saying "uck", Holden knows exactly what he wants. Holden understands his language. I love that now I can have complete conversations with Holden. It's amazing. And cute. The things you talk about with a 3-year old . . . I absolutely love our chats. Holden loves to be my helper, play with his cars, play outside and most importantly in any body of water. And my Jeremy. He's just been a rock-star husband and dad over the last couple of months. I'll leave it at that because he's humble and wouldn't want much said. Life is really really good. Which I know means God has been gracious to us and I'm grateful. But here I sit on the receiving end with a full heart. Sometimes feeling like it's going to burst open. I've just been soaking in these blessings (my 3 guys) and noticing how they make my life extra-joyful. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a fairytale. It's just that good!

2 comments:

Daysha said...

Thanks for sharing and reminding friend.

will + adri said...

Inspiring.

It's totally true that when life gets easy its easy for us to slip out of His grasp. We're constantly reminded of God's grace and the fact that we are insufficient without Him. Its good to have those reminders to keep us in check!

Love to see your amazingly adorable family - and to know that you all are happy!