Recent Posts

Monday, June 13, 2011

Chocolate Protein Smoothie

I randomly threw together a smoothie several weeks ago. And it just happen to taste AMAZING! Like a chocolate milkshake! To tell you the truth, I don't remember the last time I had a real-deal milkshake. So maybe to most people it won't taste exactly the same. But I thought it was delicious. And so healthy!

After months of reading some nutritional blogs (may fave being the Fitnessista), I started freezing bananas. I was finding that you can make some pretty incredible, healthy "desserts" with frozen bananas. For instance, banana soft serve. It really taste so great. And pretty much the only ingredient? Bananas! Crazy! Who comes up with this stuff?! So now, I ALWAYS have peeled bananas in my freezer. Always. So that's how this little smoothie came together. So here it is:

1 cup almond milk - unsweetened almond milk is 35calories/cup and has a thick texture. Not like watery skim milk. It also has a great nutty flavor. It's also great in coffee because of the unique flavor. But you could use any kind of milk you wanted.
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (or you could use vanilla. But oooooh the chocolate . . .)
1 frozen banana

Since the banana starts out frozen, it really gives the smoothie that thick icecream texture. One day I randomly added frozen blueberries wondering if I had ruined my shake . . . I mean smoothie. :) Almond milk+blueberries+banana+chocolate? That just sounds crazy. But since I had seen the Fitnessista post crazier combos, I gave it a whirl. And to my surprise, it was a hit. Go ahead and try them. Tell me if you like it. My guess is that you won't be disappointed.

No comments: