Recent Posts

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Organic Co-op

A friend recently told me about the organic co-op she had joined. Here is where she directed me, which is basically just for the DFW metroplex. There are a gazillion in the metro, so you just have to find the one closest to you. And our co-op is only a 2 mile drive away! So for 6 weeks, we're trying it out. We pick up our fruits and veggies every other Tuesday. I think we might need to add an extra fruit share, which I can easily do later. But for $25 (since we opted for a half share rather than a whole) we received the following.
1 head of lettuce, 1 head of bok choy, 1 head of broccoli, 2 cucumbers, 3 roma tomatoes, 6 carrots, 7 potatoes, a bunch of cilantro, 3 green onions, about 1 cup of green beans, 6oz blueberries, 4 bananas, 3 apples and 1 cantelope. And obviously it's all organic. I think that seems like a pretty good deal. But if you just whipped out your calculator, you may decide otherwise. To be honest, I'm not a great price watcher. I mean, when Sprouts has grapefruit for 11 cents each, I know that is a fabulous deal. But alot of times I just buy what's on sale and what we need. But I haven't been buying much organic fruits and veggies because of the significant price increase. But this house has been inhaling tons of produce and probably with some pesticides along the way. So no more pesticides. We're trying this out. And I'm pretty excited about it!

4 comments:

~The Neaves Nest~ said...

Ahhhh I would eat ALL of that minus the bok choy... Ok you have to help me convince N to
Do it!! $25 isn't bad for every other week!!

Amanda said...

That sounds like a great deal! I wish we had one here that I could pay for each time we went instead of all in one chunk. :(

The Everharts said...

me and a friend are thinking about going in on a co-op here. we have a co-garden so we could contribute too. love to hear how it works for you...

everyday graces said...

Very cool. I've been meaning do to this in our neck of the woods.